Saturday, December 12, 2020
2:00 - 5:00 pm PST
Instructor: Julia Lowther
Beginning to Intermediate Level
10 student capacity
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Take your jewelry sawing skills to the next level and pierce out a charming “Caroling Bats” ornament to bring luck and cheery sweetness to your holiday tree. In China and other parts of Asia, bats are considered to bring good luck, happiness, and wealth, so they are perfect adornments for any celebration.
Beginner/Intermediate. A good working relationship with your jewelry saw would be useful but is not required.
Supply List for Students
Links (most) below take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping).
- 3"x3" - 24 ga red brass sheet - 130124
- Small HSS twist drill (any size from #60 to #75 will do fine) - 349410gp
8/0 jewelers saw blades (pkg/12) - 110300 (best size, but very fine and easy to break)
OR 6/0 jewelers saw blades (pkg/12) - 110302 (acceptable, not as fine as 8/0)
- Line stamp - you can use a chasing tool for making lines like this: Fretz® T-2 Tracing Repoussé and Chasing Tool - 1129982
OR the letter “I” from a ⅛" letter stamp set: Stamp Set, Numbers and Alphabet, 3.2mm Characters - 111345
- Jewelers saw frame (2.25" throat) -110039
- Bench pin & anvil - 110014
- Center punch - 118117
Chasing hammer - 112225
OR small ball pein hammer - 119333
Pin Vise with wood handle - 113062 (to use with twist drill bits)
OR Small Spring-Loaded Spiral Hand Drill - 117012 (for twist drill bits #69-80)
OR some sort of electric drill
- Flat/half round forming pliers - 111180
- Set 6 needle files (cut #2) - 114797
- Sandpaper (800, 600, 400, 220 grits), popsicle sticks, and masking tape
This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.