Sunday, December 6, 2020
10:00 am - 1:00 pm PST
Instructor: Julia Lowther
10 student capacity
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 30 minutes prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Learn to weave individual wire rings into the interlocking globes of the Persian chain pattern to make earrings, bracelets, and necklaces. Learn simple wire-wrapping to adorn your jewelry with pearls or beads. Spend a convivial interlude with friends new and old, and leave with fabulous new jewelry to enjoy yourself or delight a gift recipient.
Because such a shortlist of simple hand tools is required to make a very diverse selection of patterns, chain making is an ideal, and relatively portable, activity to continue enjoying long beyond the close of the class. Students are encouraged to incorporate favorite beads into their work.
Skill Level: No experience necessary. Moderate patience and hand-eye coordination required.
Supply List for Students
Links below take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping).
TWO pairs of pliers with springs & inside jaws smooth and flat
Pre-cut rings. Choose a ring COLOR:
- 18ga (1.02mm) - 5.5mm ID (inner diameter)
- Optional – larger end rings (min. 8 rings for earrings) 16ga (1.3mm) - 7mm ID (inner diameter)
Check package (per pack) quantities to be sure you have enough rings! (18 links/inch)
Earrings: minimum of 40 rings for one pair of earrings
Bracelet: (varies if adding beads) – 100-160 rings
REMEMBER! If you buy rings somewhere else or make your own, it’s okay to have a slightly larger ID (inner diameter), but a smaller ID will NOT work!
Working Aids. These will help you stabilize your chain as you learn.
- About 6" of thin wire (cut into 2 pieces)
- OR paperclips; a twist tie and a large darning needle
- Findings: ear wires or bracelet clasp (choose the one relevant to your project)
- Optional – beads/pearls & wire to fit through them. Each wire wrapped bead/pearl will probably require about 3-5" of wire. 22-20ga will work for many beads. Check your beads and buy extra wire.
- Optional – additional tools needed for wire wrapping beads/pearls