Saturday, November 14, 2020
2:00 - 5:00 pm PST
Instructor: Julia Lowther
10 student capacity
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 30 minutes prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Learn to weave individual wire rings into a pair of unique earrings in the striking and popular Byzantine chain pattern. Learn simple wire-wrapping to adorn your earrings with pearls or beads.
Spend a convivial interlude with friends new and old, and finish with fabulous new jewelry to enjoy yourself or delight a gift recipient.
Because such a shortlist of simple hand tools is required to make a very diverse selection of patterns, chain making is an ideal, and relatively portable, activity to continue enjoying long beyond the close of the class. Students are encouraged to incorporate favorite beads into their work.
Skill Level: No experience necessary. Moderate patience and hand-eye coordination required.
Supply List for Students
Links below take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping).
- Chain-nose pliers - 111911
- Flat-nose pliers - 111912
- Round-nose pliers - 111913
- Side cutters - 111931
- Emery board OR sapphire nail file OR flat needle file - 114327
Pre-cut rings. You need BOTH sizes, but only 4 rings of the larger size:
- 56 rings - 18ga (1.02mm) wire - 3.5mm ID (inner diameter) sterling silver - 696089
- 4 rings - 14ga (1.63mm) wire - 5.5mm ID (inner diameter) sterling silver - 684143
Check package (per pack) quantities to be sure you have enough rings! You need 56 small rings and 4 large rings for one pair of earrings
REMEMBER! If you buy rings somewhere else or make your own, it’s okay to have a slightly larger ID (inner diameter), but a smaller ID will probably NOT work!
Working Aids. These will help you stabilize your chain as you learn.
- About 6" of thin wire (cut into 2 pieces)
- OR paperclips; a twist tie and a large darning needle
- Ear wires 20ga ear wires - sterling - 924481 (one option of many)
- 2 small beads or pearls - approx. 6x5mm
- Sterling silver round wire - dead soft 4" wire to thread beads/pearls on. Each bead/pearl will probably require about 2" of wire. 22-20ga will work for many beads. Check your beads hole size in comparison to your wire. You might want to buy extra wire, just in case.