Saturday and Sunday, March 25-26, 2023
2:00 - 5:00 pm PDT (both days)
Instructor: Julia Lowther
All classes include the video recording, which you will have access to for 30 days after the class. Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day (24 hours) prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Few things are as magical in making jewelry as fusing fine silver wire into seamless rings. Learning the tricks and skill of fusing will open myriad chain-making doors for you! In this class, you’ll weave your fused rings into a lacy, and surprisingly sturdy, single Foxtail Chain. Once comfortable with the single, you will tackle the slim and elegant double Foxtail.
Skill Level: All Levels - You will need a torch to fuse your rings.
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- 20ga fine silver round wire - 105320, 0.3 troy oz for SINGLE Foxtail bracelet (0.3 troy oz will make 9” of chain)
- 22ga fine silver round wire - 105322, 0.3 troy oz for DOUBLE Foxtail bracelet (0.3 troy oz will make 9” of chain)
- 5/16” wooden dowel (Amazon), or from your local hardware store
- Classical Loop-in-Loop Chains, by Jean Reist Stark (Amazon)
Special Tools (for winding, fusing, and stretching rings):
Solderite pad 6”x6” - 502064, fresh, clean (no flux residue)
OR hard charcoal block - 502033
Bench vise - 113404
OR C-clamp (Amazon)
- External retaining ring pliers - Imperial IR-380S (MSC Direct) OR Vintage #4 Retaining Ring Pliers (only 3 available through LMF!)
- Tapered round awl or scribe (Amazon)
Basic Tools you should have at your bench for this project:
- Torch and fuel (both these torches use disposable 1lb propane tanks, most insurance allows this size inside the home)
- Jewelers saw frame (2.25" throat) -110039
- 4/0 jewelers saw blades (pkg/12) - 110304
- Bench pin & anvil - 110014
Dividers - 116224
- Brass sliding gauge - 116075
- Pin vise - 113146 + small drill bit (size 70 or larger)
- Flat/half round forming pliers - 111180
- Chain-nose pliers - 111911
- Flat-nose pliers - 111912
- Round-nose pliers - 111913
- Side cutters - 111931
Nylon mallet - 112013
- Metal ruler - 116493
- Emery board or sapphire nail file (Amazon)
- Sandpaper (800, 600, 400, 220 grits) + popsicle sticks + masking tape
- Loupe - 113780
- Patina - Liver of Sulfur gel - 331033
Polishing cloth - 337039