Sunday, May 30, 2021
1:00 - 5:00 pm PDT
Instructor: Julia Lowther
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
This class will be recorded, and the recording will be available for students to access through their Little Metal Foxes accounts for a full month after the live class.
Learn to weave individual wire rings into the striking and popular Byzantine chain pattern to make earrings, bracelets, and necklaces. You will also learn to make Square Maille, Byzantine Trellis, and Butterfly Maille. Learn simple wire-wrapping to adorn your jewelry with pearls or beads.
Spend a convivial interlude with friends new and old, and finish with fabulous new jewelry to enjoy yourself or delight a gift recipient.
Because such a shortlist of simple hand tools is required to make a very diverse selection of patterns, chain making is an ideal, and relatively portable, activity to continue enjoying long beyond the close of the class. Students are encouraged to incorporate favorite beads into their work.
Skill Level: No experience necessary. Moderate patience and hand-eye coordination required.
1) Byzantine Chain Earrings (blue glass beads) and Bracelet (purple coin pearls)
2) From top to bottom: Square Maille (green coin pearls), Byzantine (bright silver, purple coin pearls, Byzantine (antiqued silver), Byzantine (copper), Byzantine (brass and antiqued copper)
3) Square Maille Earrings & Bracelet (green coin pearls)
4) Butterfly Maille
5) Byzantine Trellis (lattis-like, with a mix of two sizes of rings)
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- TWO pairs of pliers with springs & inside jaws smooth and flat
- BYZANTINE & BYZANTINE TRELLIS: Pre-cut rings. Choose a ring COLOR:
- SQUARE MAILLE & BUTTERFLY MAILLE: Pre-cut rings - choose a ring COLOR:
BYZANTINE TRELLIS: Large rings needed in addition to Byzantine rings above:
- 16ga (1.29mm) - 6.5mm ID (inner diameter)
- sterling silver - 695070
Check package (per pack) quantities to be sure you have enough rings! (20-23 links/inch)
Earrings: minimum 30-46 rings for one pair of earrings
Bracelet: varies depending on pattern, and if adding beads, 160-300 rings
REMEMBER! If you buy rings somewhere else or make your own, it’s okay to have a slightly larger ID (inner diameter), but a smaller ID will usually NOT work!
Working Aids. These will help you stabilize your chain as you learn:
About 6" of thin wire (cut into 2 pieces)
OR paperclips; a twist tie and a large darning needle
- Findings. Ear wires or bracelet clasp (choose the one relevant to your project)
Optional Supplies and Tools:
- Beads/pearls & wire to fit through them. Each wire wrapped bead/pearl will probably require about 3-5" of wire. 22-20ga will work for many beads. Check your beads and buy extra wire.
- Tools needed for wire wrapping beads/pearls: