12/03 Chime Ball Charm - VIDEO ONLY
12/03 Chime Ball Charm - VIDEO ONLY
4 in stock
This class was previously recorded, and the recording will be available for students to access through their Little Metal Foxes accounts through 01/03/24.
Instructor: Julia Lowther
Learn the secrets of the harmony ball’s resonant chime! Wear your harmony ball to carry the sound of wind chimes in the breeze wherever you go and help you feel in balance with your world.
Chime balls are also referred to as angel callers, pregnancy balls, Druid balls, Mexican bolas, and Bali harmony balls. They are similar to the larger Chinese Baoding balls. Here at Little Metal Foxes HQ, we like to believe these mystical, magical, objet d’art originated from the loins of unicorns, and proudly rang across the Fae lands ;p!
Regardless of where they originated, Julia will take you step-by-step on a magical journey to uncover the secret of the “chime”, demystify closed hollow form construction, and help you create your own heirloom sterling silver chime ball.
Prerequisite: Intermediate Jewelry/Metals and ability to solder independently.
All classes include the video recording, which you will have access to for 30 days after the class. Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day (24 hours) prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access Rio Grande wholesale pricing for significant savings. This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- 24ga sterling silver sheet 3" x 3" (outer shell)
24ga brass sheet, 3" x 3" (inner shell)
- 12ga brass wire, 3" OR section of steel wire coat hanger
- 18ga sterling silver wire, 3"
- 7-8mm diam. sterling tubing, 1/2" (optional, for bail)
- HARD silver paste solder
- EASY silver paste solder
- Solder 3" each: Easy - 101100, Med - 101703, Hard - 101704
Ottoflux paste flux - fluoride-free (Ottofrei.com)
(Ottoflux, Superior #6, Grifflux #1, and Dandix are all the same. Rio Grande does not carry a fluoride-free paste flux)
Tools recommended to cut discs, dome metal and solder metal domes together:
- Disc cutter set
- Brass mallet
- Dapping block and dapping punch set
- Solitaire holding tweezers (Otto Frei)
- 2/0 jewelers saw blades
Basic Tools you should have at your bench:
- Torch and fuel (both these torches use disposable 1lb propane tanks, most insurance allows this size inside the home)
- Sparker or Torch lighter - 114.205 (Otto Frei)
- Solderite pad 6"x6" - 502064 or other fireproof soldering surface (fire brick or scrap of cement board, i.e. Hardie backer cement board)
- Pickle - 5010233 - OR sodium bisulfate for pools from the hardware store
- Pickle pot - 501021 - OR small crockpot; OR glass jar + PLASTIC lid + mug warmer
- Copper tongs - 501017
- Flux brush - 115141 OR small cheap paintbrush with natural bristles (size 4 is good)
- Solder pick. This can be made from a length of wire coat hanger (pointed on one end with a flat spiral handle)
- Tweezers (for solder placement) - 115018
- Jewelers saw frame (2.25" throat) -110039
- 4/0 jewelers saw blades (pkg/12) - 110304
- Bench pin & anvil - 110014
- Cross-lock tweezers - 115051
- Dividers - 116224
- Brass sliding gauge - 116075
- Pin vise - 113146
- Center punch - 118117
Chasing hammer - 112225
OR small ball pein hammer - 119333
- Riveting hammer - 112087 (optional, if you have a chasing hammer)
- Flat/half round forming pliers - 111180
- Chain-nose pliers - 111911
- Flat-nose pliers - 111912
- Round-nose pliers - 111913
- Side cutters - 111931
- Ring mandrel - 112575
- Ring clamp - 113969
- Nylon mallet - 112013
- Metal ruler - 116493
- Flat hand file (#2 cut is good, get a handle as well) - 114925
- Half-round hand file (#2 cut is good, get a handle as well) - 114931
- Set 6 needle files (cut #2) - 114797
- Joyce Chen shears (Amazon)
- Emery board or sapphire nail file (Amazon)
- Sandpaper (800, 600, 400, 220 grits) + popsicle sticks + masking tape
- Sanding sticks (DIY)
- Loupe - 113780
- Patina - Liver of Sulfur gel - 331033
- Polishing cloth - 337039