October 23, 2021
2:00 - 5:00 pm PDT
Instructor: Julia Lowther
Beginning to Intermediate Levels
This class includes the video recording, which you will have access to for 30 days after the class (we've got your back if you can't attend the live class in person!).
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
Check the SUPPLY LIST below. It will contain links to buy the supplies you need.
Rivets are ESSENTIAL for movement - every hinge pin is a rivet! With rivets, you can connect metal and non-metal parts without soldering. If you don’t have the option to solder, rivets are your friends, and can also connect colorful and non-metal parts to your work when glue just won’t do! We will discuss how to create secure rivets using tubes and wires, and how to set the rivets to allow attached parts to move easily. We'll also explore decorative rivets, spaced rivets, and sliding rivets.
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access Rio Grande wholesale pricing for significant savings. This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- Ball, stone setting, flame or cone bur slightly larger than your drilled rivet hole - used for countersinking, OR large drill bit, like a 5/16" twist drill will accomplish the same thing.
- 18, 20, or 22ga sheet metal. Pieces that are under 1"x2” are great to practice with.
Rivet materials (wire can be copper/brass/sterling):
- 14g round wire
- #52 drill bit
- 16g round wire
- #55 drill bit
- 18g round wire
- #59 drill bit
3/32" (2.38mm) OD (outer diameter) tubing (Amazon)
- 2.3mm drill bit (#42 would be best, if you can find them)
Note: 3/32" tubing will fit perfectly inside 1/8" tubing if the wall thickness is 0.014". The link above is for telescoping tubing, which is perfect for spaced rivets.
Optional tools useful if making many rivets of uniform size:
- Tubing cutter jig - 113839
- Roper Whitney No. 5 Jr. hand punch (Roper) (best) OR EuroPower Large Hole Punch Pliers - 111377 (less expensive...)
Basic Tools recommended for your bench:
- Torch and fuel (both these torches use disposable 1lb propane tanks, most insurance allows this size inside the home)
- Sparker or Torch lighter - 114.205 (Otto Frei)
- Solderite pad 6"x6" - 502064 or other fireproof soldering surface (fire brick or scrap of cement board, i.e. Hardie backer cement board)
- Pickle - 5010233 - OR sodium bisulfate for pools from the hardware store
- Pickle pot - 501021 - OR small crockpot; OR glass jar + PLASTIC lid + mug warmer
- Copper tongs - 501017
- Flux brush - 115141 OR small cheap paintbrush with natural bristles (size 4 is good)
- Solder pick. This can be made from a length of wire coat hanger (pointed on one end with a flat spiral handle)
- Tweezers (for solder placement) - 115018
- Jewelers saw frame (2.25" throat) -110039
- 4/0 jewelers saw blades (pkg/12) - 110304
- Bench pin & anvil - 110014
- Cross-lock tweezers - 115051
- Dividers - 116224
- Brass sliding gauge - 116075
- Pin vise - 113146
- Center punch - 118117
Chasing hammer - 112225
OR small ball pein hammer - 119333
- Riveting hammer - 112087 (optional, if you have a chasing hammer)
- Flat/half round forming pliers - 111180
- Chain-nose pliers - 111911
- Flat-nose pliers - 111912
- Round-nose pliers - 111913
- Side cutters - 111931
- Ring mandrel - 112575
- Ring clamp - 113969
- Nylon mallet - 112013
- Metal ruler - 116493
- Flat hand file (#2 cut is good, get a handle as well) - 114925
- Half-round hand file (#2 cut is good, get a handle as well) - 114931
- Set 6 needle files (cut #2) - 114797
- Joyce Chen shears (Amazon)
- Emery board or sapphire nail file (Amazon)
- Sandpaper (800, 600, 400, 220 grits) + popsicle sticks + masking tape
- Sanding sticks (DIY)
- Loupe - 113780
- Patina - Liver of Sulfur gel - 331033
- Polishing cloth - 337039