Thursday, October 13, 2022
6:30 - 8:30 pm PDT
Instructor: Jennifer Stenhouse
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
This class will be recorded, and the recording will be available for students to access through their Little Metal Foxes accounts for a full month after the live class.
Tapered Tube settings, flared tube settings, and crown settings are a beautiful way to show a stone and add elegance to your designs. This stone setting workshop will focus on the techniques used to create tapered tube settings and shaping tubes to create unique stone settings for jewelry. Students will learn the techniques through demonstrations using tubing to create altered tube settings, creating flared, and simple prong settings. Stone setting will work for a variety of stones such as faceted round, faceted square, rose-cut, and round cabochon stones. Demos will also include how to measure, cut, and set tube settings. Students will learn to use manufactured seamless tubes as a starting point for all kinds of projects. Options such as tapered & crown prong settings will be discussed. Students may work alongside the demos, or choose just to observe and learn. Students will have at least 30-day access to the class video after the class to watch at their leisure.
The settings discussed include: Tapered tube setting, using tapered tube to create a fancy prong setting.
Recommended skills: Students should have beginning jewelry skills including: sawing, filing, soldering, and some experience bezel setting.
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- Sterling and brass tubes, and faceted stones (or CZ’s) will be used for the tube setting demonstration.
- Faceted stones should be the same size to half a millimeter smaller than the tube for the flared tube setting purposes. (Ex: stone is 3.25-3.5mm, regular wall seamless tube should be 3.66mm.)
- Sterling silver seamless tubing, 3.66mm OD:
- 3.5mm CZ
- Also helpful to have:
- Silver solder wire (approx. 3” each is helpful,)
- 20g sterling sheet (copper or brass sheet may also be used for your samples)
Supplies from the hardware store:
- Brass tubing same size as your stone. Anneal before use.
- 2-pound brass head mallet (this is great for all kinds of shaping and stamping!)
- Safety glasses
- Emery paper
- Wet/dry emery paper, 200/400/600
Tools used for the demonstration:
These tools are available from Rio Grande and other suppliers local and online for your convenience. But, if you have your own tools or want to add to your kit, this is what I will be using:
- Multi-opening tapered bezel punch, different shapes are available. I will be demonstrating a Round Bezel forming block with a punch. 17° Taper round punch and die set.
- Economy Miter-cutting vise and jig
Basic Jewelry Kit essentials: