Saturday, September 10, 2022
2:00 - 5:00 pm PDT
Instructor: Julia Lowther
This class includes the video recording, which you will have access to for 30 days after the class (we've got your back if you can't attend the live class in person!).
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Knowing how to make your own stamps and punches gives you a heady feeling of power! The tools you make will last a lifetime and give you the joy of making your personalized and unique marks on the metal every time you use them. Learn to shape, harden, and - most important of all - temper your tools.
Class Level: Beginner
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- 3/16” Drill rod (O1= oil hardening) - 4”/stamp (Zoro.com) (usually comes in 36” lengths, so you’ll be able to make lots of tools from one piece of rod!)
- Torch, fuel, & spark (both torches below use disposable 1lb propane tanks, most insurance allows this size inside the home)
Bernzomatic Propane Torch (Home Depot) (includes built-in lighter)
OR Orca EZ Torch (Otto Frei -114.250, for DISPOSABLE propane tanks)
- Sparker/Torch lighter (Otto Frei - 114.205)
- Solderite pad 6"x6" - 502064 - OR other fireproof soldering surface (fire brick, or a scrap of cement board, i.e. Hardie backer tile board)
- Jewelers saw frame (2.25" throat) -110039
- #6 Saw Blade, Pkg/12 - 110313
- Bench pin & anvil - 110014
Chasing hammer - 112225
OR small ball pein hammer - 119333
- Flat hand file (cut #3) - 114702
- Set 6 needle files (cut #2) - 114797
- Sandpaper (800, 600, 400, 220 grits) + popsicle sticks + masking tape
- Vise-Grip locking pliers (Zoro.com, 7WR is a good size)
- Magnet (small) - washer shape (with a hole in it), or with a hook on it (NO plastic!)
- Vegetable oil (must be high heat tolerant, like canola or safflower)
- Tin can (at least 15oz)
- Plasticine or clay (to test stamp)