Weekdays, August 2-27, 2021 (4 weeks of studio prompts)
PLUS! Live Zoom Check-ins, Weds & Fri, 9:00 - 10:00 am PST, August 4-27, 2021
Instructor: Julia Lowther
This class includes the video recordings, which you will have access to for 30 days after the class (we've got your back if you can't attend the live class in person!).
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Come get inspired and jump-start the habit of regularly practicing your jewelry making!
Weekday mornings, August 2-27, you will receive an email with a studio warm-up exercise prompt - a "Studio Spark" (see example in photos). These Sparks give you inspiration for a quick warm-up exercise to get you started in your studio each morning. Friday Sparks are design challenges, that will give you a little something extra to ruminate on over the weekend. Practicing various skills and techniques and flexing your design muscles, without a specific end product in mind, is a great way to build confidence in your skills. Students are encouraged to get to their benches and play!
Live Zoom check-ins on Wednesday and Friday mornings will give you a chance to share challenges, triumphs, and a-ha moments, and have a touchstone for accountability that will keep you focused and moving forward.
Grab a cup of coffee and get to your bench!
Skill Level: ALL levels!
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- Experiment with what you have on hand
- Try new things
- Let limitations be your inspiration
Basic Tools recommended for your bench:
- Torch and fuel (both these torches use disposable 1lb propane tanks, most insurance allows this size inside the home)
- Sparker or Torch lighter - 114.205 (Otto Frei)
- Solderite pad 6"x6" - 502064 or other fireproof soldering surface (fire brick or scrap of cement board, i.e. Hardie backer cement board)
- Pickle - 5010233 - OR sodium bisulfate for pools from the hardware store
- Pickle pot - 501021 - OR small crockpot; OR glass jar + PLASTIC lid + mug warmer
- Copper tongs - 501017
- Flux brush - 115141 OR small cheap paintbrush with natural bristles (size 4 is good)
- Solder pick. This can be made from a length of wire coat hanger (pointed on one end with a flat spiral handle)
- Tweezers (for solder placement) - 115018
- Jewelers saw frame (2.25" throat) -110039
- 4/0 jewelers saw blades (pkg/12) - 110304
- Bench pin & anvil - 110014
- Cross-lock tweezers - 115051
- Dividers - 116224
- Brass sliding gauge - 116075
- Pin vise - 113146
- Center punch - 118117
Chasing hammer - 112225
OR small ball pein hammer - 119333
- Riveting hammer - 112087 (optional, if you have a chasing hammer)
- Flat/half round forming pliers - 111180
- Chain-nose pliers - 111911
- Flat-nose pliers - 111912
- Round-nose pliers - 111913
- Side cutters - 111931
- Ring mandrel - 112575
- Ring clamp - 113969
- Nylon mallet - 112013
- Metal ruler - 116493
- Flat hand file (#2 cut is good, get a handle as well) - 114925
- Half-round hand file (#2 cut is good, get a handle as well) - 114931
- Set 6 needle files (cut #2) - 114797
- Joyce Chen shears (Amazon)
- Emery board or sapphire nail file (Amazon)
- Sandpaper (800, 600, 400, 220 grits) + popsicle sticks + masking tape
- Sanding sticks (DIY)
- Loupe - 113780
- Patina - Liver of Sulfur gel - 331033
Polishing cloth - 337039