Saturday, June 11, 2022
2:00 - 4:00 pm PDT
Instructor: Julia Lowther
All classes include the video recording, which you will have access to for 30 days after the class. Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day (24 hours) prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
In this short class you will learn all the tricks to using PulsarProFX brand Toner Transfer Paper and Green TRF Foil to apply laser printer or photocopier toner-based ink to your metal as an etching resist. You can get remarkable detail with this resist technique, allowing you to include very fine lines in your designs.
You will also learn the simplest and quickest method for chemically etching copper or brass sheet with ferric chloride etchant. This method has the added advantage of using a very small amount of etchant for each etch. If you are curious about etching, and want to experiment a bit to see if you like it without investing a lot of time or money, then this class is the perfect class for you!
Skill Level: Beginner
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- Etching Resist Kit (Little Metal Foxes) (you will need to print your own designs on the Toner Transfer Paper)
- 2"x 3" Metal sheet - 22-20ga (0.64mm-0.81mm) (choose a color):
- Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend (Amazon)
- Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Scour Pad (Amazon)
- wide packing tape (Amazon)
- Low tack artist tape (Amazon)
- nail polish (any color, plain, no sparkles or other inclusions) (Amazon)
- acetone (nail polish remover) (Amazon)
- cotton pads (Amazon)
- Ferric chloride (MG Chemicals) (Amazon) (also available as “PCB Etchant Solution” from RadioShack)
- Ziploc freezer bags, quart size (Amazon)
Tools recommended for Etch in a Bag:
- Mini paint roller ~4” (Amazon)
- Plastic tray or container with a FLAT bottom (at least 5” x 9”) (Amazon)
- Plastic or wooden tongs (Amazon)
- Disposable plastic pint container (ex. deli or yogurt tub)
- Splash goggles (Jackson Safety Monogoggle XTR) (Amazon)
- Chemical resistant gloves (Amazon)
Tools required for applying the Toner Transfer Paper etching resist: