Saturday, May 8, 2021
10:00am - 1:00 pm PDT
Instructors: Chris Anderson & Jennifer Stenhouse
Beginning to Intermediate Level
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
The Lion Punch Forge Graver Adapter, in combination with a flexshaft and a hammer handpiece, can be used for more than engraving. Chris and Jennifer will share the basics of what this tool can do and how to use it to create a variety of intricate textures on metal. Chris will also show how to adapt and make your own tools that work with the LPFG Adapter that can be used to create unique patterns.
The adapter is a good option for those wanting to learn engraving with a power tool, but want an affordable option to expensive pneumatic engravers.
Demonstrations will include a variety of ways to use the engraver to customize your designs. Students are encouraged to produce both samples with elements for jewelry applications. They can also just watch and then make pieces later.
Participants are encouraged to work in copper 18-22g sheet (although sterling silver 18-22g sheet and other metals may be used to create samples and finished projects).
Prerequisite: Beginning Jewelry/Metals.
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- The Lion Punch Forge Engraving Adapter is distributed by Pepe Tools.
If you already have a Foredom hammer handpiece, the adapter will screw right into it. If you need the hammer handpiece as well, there is an option to purchase it as a complete set. I recommend a hammer handpiece with the duplex spring. This adapter works best with a TX or LX Foredom motors so you have more control over the speed. However, It will work with other Foredom flexshaft motors going at a slower speed.
- 3" engraving ball. This is a great way to hold your piece while texturing, engraving, or stone setting.
- Note-taking and drawing tools
- Copper sheet. 18-22g Best way to practice. You can get sheets of copper from most hardware stores. K&S Metal Co. usually has a display with several metal sheets to choose from.
- 3" sterling sheet. A small piece of silver is nice to practice your techniques. The width and gauge are optional depending on how you want to work and if you plan to use it for a finished piece. I’d recommend something between 16-20g.
- 1/8" round brass rod, and/or 2MM square rod from the K&S display at your local hardware store. (you can also use steel stock for this.)
- Hot glue
- Double-sided tape
- Jett Set