Sunday, April 10, 2022
1:00 - 4:00 pm PDT
Instructor: Julia Lowther
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
This class will be recorded, and the recording will be available for students to access through their Little Metal Foxes accounts for a full month after the live class.
When gold is expensive or scarce, granulation allows jewelry makers to add eye-catching color and texture to their work, using only the tiniest amounts of precious metal. In this class, you will make a granulation “spoon” to plate your granules, discover tips for placing the granules precisely on flat or domed metal sheet, and learn to fire the sheets to permanently and elegantly attach the granules. Gold granules can be attached to either gold or silver. Silver is a cost-approachable material to learn with, and this entire class can be completed with only fine silver - as both base sheet and granules.
This is the second of two separate workshops. In “Granulation - Making Granules (Part 1)” you learned how to make granules and sort them accurately and easily by size.
Skill Level: Intermediate. Moderate patience and hand-eye coordination are required.
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- Granules - various sizes, either fine silver or gold (zinc-free, 18k or higher alloy)
- 22ga fine silver sheet - 101922
- Titebond Genuine Hide Glue (may not be vegan/vegetarian)(Amazon)
- My-T-Flux - 504006
- OR Battern’s Self-Pickling Flux (Amazon)
- Well-used pickle (should be blue, about half a cup)
- - 8” length of steel wire coat hanger (must respond to a magnet)
- Plastic tea infuser (Amazon)
- Universal shears - 111253 (same tool as listed for sieve set)
- Small, inexpensive natural bristle paintbrush (size 3/0 is good)
- Scribe - 118200
- tweezers - 115018
- Tripod with fine-mesh screen - 502085
- If you already have a tripod, buy a FRESH fine-mesh screen - 502096