Wednesday, January 27, 2021
9:00 am - 12:00 pm PST
Instructor: Julia Lowther
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Knowing how to make your own stamps and punches gives you a heady feeling of power! The tools you make will last a lifetime and give you the joy of making your personalized and unique marks on the metal every time you use them. Learn to shape, harden, and - most important of all - temper your tools.
Class Level: Beginner
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- 3/16” Drill rod (O1= oil hardening) - 4”/stamp - ZORO.COM (usually comes in 36” lengths, so you’ll be able to make lots of tools from one piece of rod!)
- Torch, fuel, & spark (both torches below use disposable 1lb propane tanks, most insurance allows this size inside the home)
Solderite pad 6"x6" - 502064 -
OR other fireproof soldering surface (fire brick, or a scrap of cement board, i.e. Hardie backer tile board)
- Jewelers saw frame (2.25" throat) -110039
- #6 Saw Blade, Pkg/12 - 110313
- Bench pin & anvil - 110014
Chasing hammer - 112225
OR small ball pein hammer - 119333
- Flat hand file (cut #3) - 114702
- Set 6 needle files (cut #2) - 114797
- Sandpaper (800, 600, 400, 220 grits) + popsicle sticks + masking tape
- Vise-Grip locking pliers - ZORO.COM (7WR is a good size)
- Magnet (small) - washer shape (with a hole in it), or with a hook on it (NO plastic!)
- Vegetable oil (must be high heat tolerant, like canola or safflower)
- Tin can (at least 15oz)
- Plasticine or clay (to test stamp)