Saturday - Sunday, March, 19-20, 2022
(2 days, 2 hours per session)
2:00 - 4:00 pm PDT
Instructor: Julia Lowther
This class includes the video recordings, which you will have access to for 30 days after the class (we've got your back if you can't attend the live class in person!).
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Bring rich texture to simple heavy band rings. First, you will learn to wrestle thick pieces of metal into smooth pleasing bands, and then learn to embellish them with the endlessly varied possibilities of "filework" - giving movement and dimension to the flat surfaces. Filework is an intriguing technique borrowed from the custom knife world.
Skill Level: Beginner/Intermediate - You will need a torch to solder your band rings.
Supply List for Students<
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access Rio Grande wholesale pricing for significant savings. This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- 10ga sterling square wire - 100510, 3”- 4” per ring
- #6 saw blades - 110313
- 26ga stainless steel binding wire - 503073
- Solder 3" each: Easy - 101100, Med - 101703, Hard - 101704
Paste Flux - fluoride-free - 154.440 (Otto Frei) (Ottoflux, Superior #6, Grifflux #1, Dandix are all the same fluoride-free flux. Rio Grande does not carry a fluoride-free paste flux)
Special tools (to form heavy band rings):
- Forming pliers - 111605
- Wood swage block (U-channel forming block) - 112076
Parallel action pliers (flat-nose) - 111117
Recommended Needle Files:
- Needle files #4 cut (round, half-round, triangle, barrette)
- Needle files #6 cut (round, half-round, triangle, barrette)
Note on Needle Files - SUPER IMPORTANT FOR FILE WORK!
Swiss-made files are excellent. #2 cut is okay, the finer #4 cut is better for file work, and extra-fine #6 cut is ideal for final smoothing - be sure to have at least a barrette file (safe back), a round file, a half-round file, and a triangular (3-square) file in EACH of the cuts you use). I like the Glardon-Vallorbe needle files. OttoFrei.com has them in all cuts, including the extra fine #6 cut. RioGrande.com has them up to #4 cut.
Basic Tools you should have at your bench:
- Torch and fuel (both these torches use disposable 1lb propane tanks, most insurance allows this size inside the home)
- Sparker or Torch lighter - 114.205 (Otto Frei)
- Solderite pad 6"x6" - 502064 or other fireproof soldering surface (fire brick or scrap of cement board, i.e. Hardie backer cement board)
- Pickle - 5010233 - OR sodium bisulfate for pools from the hardware store
- Pickle pot - 501021 - OR small crockpot; OR glass jar + PLASTIC lid + mug warmer
- Copper tongs - 501017
- Flux brush - 115141 OR small cheap paintbrush with natural bristles (size 4 is good)
- Solder pick. This can be made from a length of wire coat hanger (pointed on one end with a flat spiral handle)
- Tweezers (for solder placement) - 115018
- Jewelers saw frame (2.25" throat) -110039
- 4/0 jewelers saw blades (pkg/12) - 110304
- Bench pin & anvil - 110014
- Cross-lock tweezers - 115051
- Dividers - 116224
- Brass sliding gauge - 116075
- Pin vise - 113146
- Center punch - 118117
Chasing hammer - 112225
OR small ball pein hammer - 119333
- Riveting hammer - 112087 (optional, if you have a chasing hammer)
- Flat/half round forming pliers - 111180
- Chain-nose pliers - 111911
- Flat-nose pliers - 111912
- Round-nose pliers - 111913
- Side cutters - 111931
- Ring mandrel - 112575
- Ring clamp - 113969
- Nylon mallet - 112013
- Metal ruler - 116493
- Flat hand file (#2 cut is good, get a handle as well) - 114925
- Half-round hand file (#2 cut is good, get a handle as well) - 114931
- Set 6 needle files (cut #2) - 114797
- Joyce Chen shears (Amazon)
- Emery board or sapphire nail file (Amazon)
- Sandpaper (800, 600, 400, 220 grits) + popsicle sticks + masking tape
- Sanding sticks (DIY)
- Loupe - 113780
- Patina - Liver of Sulfur gel - 331033
Polishing cloth - 337039