Saturday, March 5, 2022
2:00 - 5:00 pm PDT
Instructor: Julia Lowther
Beginning to Intermediate Level
This class includes the video recording, which you will have access to for 30 days after the class (we've got your back if you can't attend the live class in person!).
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Sawing (AKA piercing or fretwork,) is a basic and essential skill for metalsmiths and jewelry makers. There are many types of saws and blades, and logistics to consider to be able to saw like a pro! During this workshop, we will demonstrate and discuss all the important tools and practical skills that make sawing easier for more professional results. We will demonstrate the sawing skills in practice while working on a hands-on project with the students to produce a pendant design. A sawing template is available as an attachment. Students can choose one of the projects from the templates provided or find a design of their own.
We will discuss the various saw blades, saw frames, loading saw frame, lubricants, bench pins holding tools, ergonomics, and proper body positioning.
Demos will include: Setting up to saw, piercing, posture, holding tools, saw stroke, and saw line clean up. We also address problem-solving. We will be discussing the best options for you so you can be an informed consumer. We recommend practicing on a 20g copper sheet with a design from the provided template.
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access Rio Grande wholesale pricing for significant savings. This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
- 20ga copper sheet (6" x 12") or 22-20ga brass sheet (6" x 12"). There are 10 2"x2" choices on the template provided on a letter-size handout. (NOTE: the Dragonfly Cuff requires a 4"x4" sheet of 23-22ga, template will be provided)
- Jeweler's saw frame and blades, saw options include:
- German Adjustable Jeweler's 2-1/4" Saw Frame
- Knew Concepts Jeweler's 3" Saw Frame with Cam-Lever Tension
- GreenLion Studios Jeweler's 4-14" Saw Frame
- Haymaker Saw by Lion Punch Forge (PepeTools)
- Jeweler's saw blades (sizes 2/0, 4/0, 6/0, one dozen each)
- Rubber cement (recommended), full sheet sticker paper, or some other way of applying the template image to your metal
- Bench pin & anvil (or bench pin + bench block)
- Center punch
- Flex shaft drill or rotary tool (you can use a pin vise in a pinch!)
- HSS Twist Drill bit (1mm or less in diameter recommended)