Wednesday, April 20 - May 18, 2022
4 sessions, 4 weeks (NO CLASS May 11, 2022)
10:00 am - 12:00 pm PDT
Instructor: Julia Lowther
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
This class will be recorded, and the recording will be available for students to access through their Little Metal Foxes accounts for a full month after the live class.
Every tiny precious object deserves a beautiful locket to keep it safe, a locket that opens smoothly on well-constructed hinges and closes with a satisfying snap of the clasp. We'll build such containers in this class, starting with texturing/stamping to decorate the locket case, followed by demos and discussion of the infinitely variable intricacies of constructing lockets, hinges, and catches.
Skill Level: Intermediate - You must be able to solder on your own.
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access the Rio for Schools program for significant savings (discounts and flat-rate shipping). This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
You will need 18ga and 20ga sheet, 3/32" tubing, and 14ga wire. These can be copper, brass, silver, etc. Here are the links for copper and brass, the least expensive options:
- 2"x3" - 20 ga red brass sheet - 130120
- 2"x3" - 18 ga copper sheet - 132118
- OR Pre-cut 18 ga Copper Disc 1 ¼" (31.8mm) - 684774
- 3" - 14 ga red brass wire - 130500
- #53 HSS twist drill - 349412
- Solder 3" each: Easy - 101100, Med - 101703, Hard - 101704
Paste Flux - fluoride free - OTTO FREI 154.440
(Ottoflux, Superior #6, Grifflux #1, Dandix = all the same)
(Rio Grande does not carry a fluoride free paste flux)
- 2" brass tubing 3/32" diameter - K&S brand - AMAZON.COM
- T-pins 2"or 1.5" - AMAZON.COM
- Hydrogen peroxide - regular drugstore strength 3% (needed for cleaning brass)
Special tools (required to dome locket cases):
Dapping block and dapping punch set - 112929 (inexpensive) There are much more expensive dapping tools, but these will get you started :)
You can also use wooden dapping blocks and punches. Check out this article Julia wrote on how to make your own inexpensive wooden dapping punches.
Layout tools you may want:
Basic Tools you should have at your bench:
- Torch, fuel, & spark (both torches below use disposable 1lb propane tanks, most insurance allows this size inside the home)
- Torch lighter - OTTOFREI.COM 114.205
- Solderite pad 6"x6" - 502064 - OR other fireproof soldering surface (fire brick, or scrap of cement board i.e. hardiebacker tile board)
Pickle - 5010233 - OR sodium bisulfate for pools from the hardware store
- Pickle pot - 501021 - OR small crockpot; OR glass jar + PLASTIC lid + mug warmer
- Copper tongs - 501017
- Flux brush - 115141 OR small cheap paintbrush with natural bristles (size 4 is good)
- Solder pick = length of wire coat hanger (point on one end + flat spiral handle)
- Tweezers (for solder placement) - 115018
Jewelers saw frame (2.25" throat) -110039
- 4/0 jewelers saw blades (pkg/12) - 110304
- Bench pin & anvil - 110014
- Cross-lock tweezers - 115051
- Finger gauge set - 116021
- Brass sliding gauge - 116075
- Pin vise - 113146
- Flat/half round forming pliers - 111180
- Chain-nose pliers - 111911
- Flat-nose pliers - 111912
- Round-nose pliers - 111913
- Side cutters - 111931Ring mandrel - 112575
- Nylon mallet - 112013
- Metal ruler - 116493
- Ring clamp - 113969
- Set 6 needle files (cut #2) - 114797
- Sandpaper (800, 600, 400, 220 grits) + popsicle sticks + masking tape
- Patina - Liver of Sulfur gel - 331033