Saturday, February 11, 2023
10:00 am - 1:00 pm PST
Instructor: Jennifer Stenhouse
This class includes the video recording, which you will have access to for 30 days after the class (we've got your back if you can't attend the live class in person).
Zoom link and instructions for joining the call will be emailed 1 day prior to class.
The class supply list is below and contains links to buy the supplies you need.
Engraving is a delicate skill in jewelry that allows the jewelry to make marvelous designs and secure stones in settling. In this project-based workshop, we will introduce the Lion Punch Forge engraving adapter with the Foredom hammer handpiece. I will demonstrate how to create basic designs on sheet metal, & raise beads for setting small round faceted stones. The adapter is a good option for those wanting to learn engraving with a power tool, but want an affordable option for expensive pneumatic engravers.
Demonstrations will include a variety of ways to use the engraver to customize your designs and set objects like stones in bead settings. Students are encouraged to produce both samples with elements for jewelry applications. They can also just watch and then make pieces later. We will discuss the variety of engraver shapes and how to sharpen gravers.
Participants are encouraged to work in copper 18-22g sheet. Although sterling silver 18-22g sheet may be used to create samples and finished projects.
Prerequisite: Beginning Jewelry/Metals.
Supply List for Students
The links below will take you to RioGrande.com or other suppliers. To see prices for precious metal items, you need a free Rio Grande account. Registered Little Metal Foxes students can access Rio Grande wholesale pricing for significant savings. This site may contain Amazon and other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Recommended Materials & Tools:
Lion Punch Forge Engraving Adapter, Pepe Tools
- If you already have a Foredom hammer handpiece, the adapter will screw right into it.
- If you need the hammer handpiece as well, there is an option to purchase it as a complete set. I recommend a hammer handpiece with the duplex spring.
- This adapter works best with a TX or LX Foredom motor so you have more control over the speed. Although, It will work with other Foredom/flexshaft motors going at a slower speed.
- Round Graver (1.5") for LPFG
- Square 1.5" HSS Graver for LPFG
- Flat Graver (1.5") for LPFG 2.3MM Square Shank
- 3” engraving ball (Amazon) This is a great way to hold your piece while engraving or stone setting.
- Note-taking and drawing tools
- Jett Set basic
- Copper tags
- Diamond sharpening plates (Amazon)
- Copper sheet. 18-22g Best way to practice. You can get sheets of copper from most hardware stores. K&S Metal Co. usually has a display with several metal sheets to choose from.
- 3” sterling sheet. A small piece of silver is nice to practice your techniques. The width and gauge are optional depending on how you want to work and if you plan to use it for a finished piece. I’d recommend something between 16-20g.
- Signet ring. This can be a great way to create a custom piece by engraving.